Monday, February 7, 2011

War At Virtual World : Hack in Mac : Install n Update of Mac Leo in Vmware


War At Virtual World : Hack in Mac : Install n Update of Mac Leo in Vmware
Well this is not a novel something like Matrix or Inception
Its war that I am fighting past more than 32 hours to install Mac OSX Leopard to be installed in my virtual machine.
There are certain hard limits for me that is my current hardware of Host machine (don’t worry about the this jargon as this is common over there
Feeling little noob about yourself,. Well don’t worry I was feeling by myself when I just entered in this world of computing.
I am using my T61, which is having good configuration as normal. Do office work or simple net surfing. But surely not for the extreme tech experiments.
Well its good time to stop this background stuff, Be a warrior jump into battle.

Well past 32 hours, I am already failed 9 or 10 times, keeping everything aside (even food) to make this thing work but as I told I have got certain hardware limits that I cant install Snow leopard on this system, as I am facing error called “VM need to virtualize this thru hardware virtualization. T61 is not capable of that, So guys don’t wast time.
Lets come to what can we do, go for one back release Called “Leopard”. Find over the internet which is for Intel based computers.
Other I have not tried Honestly, somebody over the internet claimed to run (but I feel that fellow is having system which supports Hardware Virtualization)
Well you can consider this post to old configuration where Host doesn’t support hardware virtualization.


Step 1: Need to collect kexts ( Kernel extensions )
I have collection few of them, which is in the following screenshot.
I m too lazy to write about the names.


 Step 2: Copy these kexts to the /System/Library/Extensions
(Keep in mind Mac OSX is also case sensitive, Linux/Unix. After all it is based on BSD. If you don’t know about BSD, please google BSD. For lazy bones click this link http://lmgtfy.com/?q=BSD)
Go the folder where you kept all your kexts in my case I kept all them in separate folder called kests(you do the same if you are following me line by line as my commands are specific to my scenario.
When in kexts folder (oops I didn’t mentioned that you need to open terminal and got to the folder by command prompt.
Type the following command on terminal window :
cp -r *.kext /System/Library/Extensions
This will copy all the kexts in the Extensions folder. You can see the the highlighed files in Extensions folder.




Step3:  When its all done. This is the time to fix permissions on those kexts that you have copied and create new kext cache.
This is crucial step as you need if permission is not fixed, Core operating system wont recognize you kexts as its own files. This may lead to the kernel panic or not starting up the system after update. Some of my failure which I had, I forgot to (right thing is I never knew) to fix the permission and create the kext cache.
For this we will use utility call “ktext utility” you can find this on insanlymac.com (You need to register first, Its good forum for OSX86 hackintosh. You won’t regret to join this)
Use insanelymac.com’s search box. On the same thread you will find the “mkextmaker” but I don’t think you will need it, as I found “ktext utility” also created the cache. But be on safer side have it too. I did use it for my scenario. You just need to click to start this utility, you may need to provide your root password. This will fix the permission and in the status you will see at the last it created chache file mktext also.
Wait as it will take little while. When its done, you will see quit button in app.
Which mean it has done it work you may continue.



Step 4 : (If you are sure that ktext utility created the cache. You ay skip this step)
Using mkextmaker is very easy, just drag and drop stuff.
To do this be in the /System/Library/ and drag and drop Extensions Folder on it.



Step 5: You are all set the tweaking thing. Now it time to use the downloaded combo update DMG file. Double click on it and let it run. It system will verify and mount it.






Step 6: When update installer opens. Follow the online instruction and lead to installation.




Eventually you will see this “Installation succeeded”. Restart Now and cross your finger.


0 comments :

Post a Comment